Antioxidants are substances that can help prevent or slow damage to the bodies cells caused by free radicals which are unstable molecules that the body produces as a response to our environmental and other pressures.These are sometimes called "free-radical scavengers." Antioxidants can protect against the cell damage that free radicals cause, known as oxidative stress.
Enjoy our massive range of antioxidant supplements at drastically reduced prices from top leading brands in New Zealand.
Health Benefits of Antioxidant Supplements
At Vita Health, we know a healthy body means a healthy mind, so we offer antioxidants at an affordable price to keep everyone healthy and happy.
What are antioxidants?
Antioxidants are essential for life. They are molecules that fight ‘free radical’ damage by giving them electrons to neutralise them. ‘Free radicals’ are molecules that have lost an electron when they are not supposed to, leaving them unstable.
They can react negatively with other molecules such as DNA and damage them. In order to maintain balance in your body, an external supply of is important to obtain the maximum benefits – they can be found in most fruits and vegetables.
What are the benefits of antioxidant supplements?
There is a range of different antioxidants which benefit your health and each antioxidant serves a different function. The main types of antioxidants are:
- Vitamin A – helps the kidneys, heart, lungs, and other organs work properly. It also helps improve your eyesight.
- Vitamin C – improves your immune system and wound healing. It is also necessary for the development and repair of body tissues.
- Vitamin E – can prevent heart disease and inflammation, supports the immune system, and even lowers the risk of cancer.
- Beta-carotene – can convert into vitamin A. It can also reduce the risk of cancer and heart diseases.
- Lycopene – protects against sunburn, some cancers, heart disease, and even herbicides, pesticides and MSG.
- Lutein – helps improve eyesight and prevents eye issues such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Selenium – important for reproduction, DNA production, and thyroid gland functions.
- Manganese – aids metabolism, regulates blood sugar, and can even help with premenstrual cramping.
- Zeaxanthin – works with lutein to improve eyesight and other eye issues.
How should I take them?
Experts recommend an adult should limit their daily antioxidant supplement intake of vitamin E to 100-200 IU, selenium to 100-200 mcg, and mixed carotenoids to 15,000 IU. As vitamin C is water soluble, the ideal intake for maximum benefits is 250-500mg, however it is safest even in large doses.
Children under 4 should only take the amount in the average children’s multivitamin. Between the age of 4 and 12, it is recommended that they take 50% of an adult’s intake, but over 13’s can take the same amount as an adult.
However, you should always talk to your doctor or paediatrician and look at your diet and lifestyle before choosing supplements for you and your children. Consuming too much can cause many risks to your health, especially high amounts of selenium. Smokers and former smokers should refrain from isolated beta-carotene as it can result in increased chances of lung cancer.
It is best to take antioxidant supplements with meals to decrease the chance of an upset stomach and enhance absorption. Selenium and vitamin E supplements work best when taken together, which is why they are mostly found as a multivitamin.
Order Antioxidant Supplements Online for Delivery in NZ
Have a look around our website and see which supplements your might need. It’s important to remember that these should not be your only intake of antioxidants and should only be taken alongside a varied, healthy diet.
Vita Health is proudly owned and operated in New Zealand. Made by Kiwis, for Kiwis, we take pride in bring the #1 choice for thousands of customers when it comes to buying health-related products online. We stock a wide range of industry-leading brands & products including Arborvitae, Ayurvedic and Nature's Way NZ. We look forward to hearing from you. Ngā mihi.Read Less